2 Tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
2c thinly sliced onions
4-5 cayenne chilis, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp minced ginger
3.5c finely chopped tomatoes
1 tsp coarse salt
1 Tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
8-10 curry leaves, chopped, or 2 Tbsp curry powder
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, chilis, and ginger, and stir lightly for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt, and stir for another 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture into a food processor or blender and reduce to a chunky puree.
- Refrigerate for 4-24 hours.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves/powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir into the puree.
- Serve immediately or return to refrigerator.
1c plain yogurt
1/2 large cucumber, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 tsp coarse salt
2 Tbsp water
1/4 coriander leaves or 2 Tbsp mint leaves, chopped
1/2 Tbsp coarsely-ground black pepper
- Drain the yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined collander for about 20 minutes.
- Place the cucumber in a bowl and toss with 1/4 tsp salt.
- Place the yogurt in another bowl and whisk briefly, then add water and whisk again.
- Add the cucumber to the yogurt.
- Stir the coriander or mint and the pepper into the yogurt-cucumber mixture.
- Refrigerate 4-24 hours; serve cold.